Friday 20 July 2012

My Vintage Bags + Tips on shopping Secondhand!


Okay, okay. Just off the bat, I want to just get you to envision how I thought this post was going to be like. Crisp photos (of excellent quality) with my bags surrounded by beautiful, blooming flowers. Reality is my dad took his camera with him and he is getting back tonight when it will be too dark to take photos and I forgot the fact that there isn't any blooming flowers because it's winter. Yep. So just take that all into account before judging the not so good photos haha.

I had to make the photos a bit smaller this time so that they weren't blurry because I used an ipad to take the photos, (they actually are better quality than I expected) so sorry about that! Also I cut my finger and have a band-aid around it so its a bit hard to type.Anyway, off topic. Onto the bags!


Today I am going to be showing you some of my vintage/vintage looking bags! All of them except one are leather, and all but one I got second hand! At the end of this post I'll include some tips on finding vintage bags cheaply!


So the first bag I'm going to be talking about is this leather satchel. I actually found this randomly in our shed and I cleaned it up a bit. I used leather polish and, for the lack of a better verb, polished the bag up! At the time I found some small squares of floral material and stuck them onto the straps on the front with paperclips. Although last time I used this bag was for my school's athletic day and they kept falling off and I have yet to put them back on...whoops!






This bag I got for my birthday last year, it was from ebay. I was just looking through my archive purchases on ebay for about 5 minutes trying to work it out haha and the seller I got it from doesn't sell them anymore but hopefully you'd be able to find something similar on there. Anyway, I really love this bag as it's, "genuine leather" is of great quality and smells really good. I got it in dark brown so that it would go with everything I have. The one thing I don't like about this bag is that it came squished in the post (it was meant to be like that) and I haven't been able to 'plump' it back up. Any tips? I've tried stuffing newspaper for ages and it doesn't seem to work.


Now, this one has been a recent favourite of mine, its so handy and so cute! It's got an adjustable strap and its a really good size. I got this one from an op-shop but I can't remember exactly for how much. I'm sure it wouldn't of been over $15. How adorable is the greyhound? (it IS a greyhound right? haha)



I got this bag from a family friend. It's not real leather but I love it anyway. It has a really nice clasp and does really look vintagey. I also really like the handle on the top.

Sorry about the quality of this one haha
Finally is this little beauty. (I felt so Australian saying, sorry writing, that) I got this on the donations tables at a local garage sale (I love those things when I can be bothered getting up early enough which is hardly ever) and it would have been free but I felt bad, like I was stealing or something, so I gave $2. Great bargain! Its real leather and its just like the ones you see in pretty much every shop, but so much better quality! Arr, I still can't believe how great this is!

Okay, although they aren't ALL my bags, thats all my favourites so I thought I'd show them to you! Hopefully you find some inspiration from them.

Onto my tips for finding vintage bags for cheap! (Or anything you want)

Tip 1) Don't worry if you don't find what you are looking for every time you go to the op-shop or a garage sale, you'll find something you like eventually. (Eg. I really wanted the video Anastasia - love that movie- and I looked in every single opshop and I found it in like 2 weeks, haha random example but whatever!)

Tip 2) Stuff ALWAYS looks better once its home and washed, keep that in mind

Tip 3) Be warned, you have to look through a lot of, excuse me, crap to find one good thing, don't give up!!

That's pretty much it for today, I'm actually pretty tired because I have been sick recently (from being tired) and I have lots of homework this weekend to do *cries* but oh well. It has to be done haha. Anyway I hope you enjoyed, see you!

Verity x


Do you shop in op-shops or go to garage sales?

2 comments:

  1. Great tips! I really like all the bags esp. the second one :)

    http://perlaxmakeup.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Sorry it took me a while to reply! Verity

      Delete