Monday 16 July 2012

DIY Denim studded shorts! (Inspired by Arose186!)


Hello! Today I am going to show and tell you how I made these cool vintage-y studded denim shorts. First of all, I got inspired to make these shorts from the awesome Arose186 on youtube! (Just click on her name to view the video she made where she studded her shorts!) I actually made these at school in my creative textiles class, (sewing class) but I thought it would sort of be cool to show you guys how I did it!

For this project you will need:

  • Old pair of jean or shorts (I got an old pair of jeans from the op-shop (thrift store) for $1)
  • Scissors
  • Around 60-100 Material studs or studs used in scrap booking (I looked everywhere and eventually found them in a scrap booking shop but look in the warehouse or someplace similar for a cheaper alternative. Another place to look is on ebay.)
  • Quick unpick
  • Pencil
  • Ruler/Tape measure
I used both round and square gold studs
Step One
If you are using an old pair of shorts, you can either cut off a little one the bottom of the legs to go for a more distressed look or keep the edges intact. If you are using a pair of jeans, you will need to carefully lay them onto a flat surface, making sure there are no creases or folds. Measure how long you would like the shorts to be, (by either putting them on and measuring or by using a tape measure when they are laying flat) and rule a line across both legs with a pencil. Cut carefully. Your jeans are now shorts!!


(If I didn't explain well enough and you are still unsure, there are plenty of youtube videos on how to cut jeans into shorts! Here is the link to the video I used when cutting my jeans!)

Step Two
Now its time for the fun bit, studding!
Since the studs I was using were made to go through paper, not denim, I had to use a quick unpick to make a small hole through the denim before I could even think about putting in a stud! After I did that it was quite an easy process.  I made mine with a little bit of a gradient, so it had a lot more studs up the top and fewer and fewer as it went down. (The studding process took me about 1 hour give or take) It did get a bit repetitive though... but don't worry, it will be worth it! 





Step Three
Once you have finally finished studding those shorts, you will be nearing the end! (Phew...) Now its time for the finishing touches! I got my friends to actually fray the bottom edges of the shorts by just pulling on any loose threads, just to give it a distressed look. I think this means your done! You can add anything you like, buttons, lace, customized belt... anything! Enjoy!

I hope I helped at least one person with this post! Tell me if you liked it! See you! 

Verity x


No comments:

Post a Comment